A Trip to Dallas

Tuesday was spent flying to Dallas which meant a great reading opportunity, airplane food and a landing crosswind of 50 mph. Welcome to Dallas. I registered and attended a reception for all of the state TOYs last evening. I'm meeting some wonderful teachers that are doing outstanding things in classrooms across the country.

I was also surprised to learn how much more involved Florida is than many states. I met teachers who remain in the classroom, but must also go across their state speaking, giving workshops and representing teachers - lots of substitutes, lots of disruptions, lots of evenings and all stretched thin. As much as I long for my lab, I can't imagine representing Florida every day traveling and also juggling travel with quality teaching in the classroom. Some states use the Teacher of the Year as a one time award, we use it as a way of advocacy for children. Thank you Florida!

No comments: