South Woods Elementary



Wednesday afternoon I spoke to the staff at South Woods Elementary school in Elkton, FL. Elkton is in St. Johns County on the far west side of the district (near that produce stand!) in a very rural part of their district. This is a relatively new school working in a community with a struggling population. Many of us teach in a school like this and the challenges are almost as huge as the rewards. My experience has taught me that a letter grade rarely tells the story of hard work, dedication or the enthusiasm of a staff. I met some of the students, walked this beautiful school and enjoyed the company of the teachers and I believe there is more success taking place than we can measure.

I also reconnected with an old friend, Susan Joyner! My OCPS family will never forget Susan. She is an incredible teacher; was the OCPS District Teacher of the Year in 1989; for many years was part of that wonderful kindergarten family we developed as a district (when kindergarten went full time my wife and I were both teaching kindergarten and all of the district kindergarten teachers would come together monthly for ice cream socials, workshops, and fun. All of this took place under the leadership of a great friend (now retired), Sarah Sprinkel. Susan Joyner was a regular member of our group, went on to new grades and had new adventures and now has a wonderful class at South Woods. Susan's husband, Joe is Superintendent of schools in St. Johns County and is a former OCPS principal and district administrator. Both are missed by our district!

No comments: