A Last Look At Dallas




After almost a week of training, workshops, dinners, and chances to meet with other state Teachers of the Year I left Dallas both drained and energized. In Florida we have a great deal to be proud of. Across our state you will find teacher support, innovation and an unparalleled commitment to children. As Florida Teacher of the Year I am among a small group of educators who are given a sabbatical in order to travel our state to share and learn from our teachers. I honestly resisted this because of my desire to stay with my Camelot students. But I now realize the value and importance of this opportunity. Not only for me, but for the teachers of Florida as I go about sharing what I see.
Our last evening was spent at a dinner in which the National TOY finalists were announced. They are a wonderful group, each of whom will represent us well. I was also challenged by Andrea Petersen, the 2007 National Teacher of the Year. Andrea is an elementary school music teacher who helped turn around an entire community engaged in an atmosphere of failure. As a result of Andrea and teachers like her that community now is filled with personal and community sucess. Andrea has had an incredible affect on the lives of the children that she has taught. But what impressed me the most about Andrea was a conversation I had with her at lunch on Saturday. When she ends her year she is going right back to that school and continue right where she left off. That's a powerful message to each of us.
My next meeting with these wonderful teachers will be in April at the White House. We will meet the President and rejoice in the announcement of the next National Teacher of the Year.
For now I've include a few more pictures of the wonderful teachers I now call friends.

No comments: