A Governor's Luncheon - Thank You Apple Computers!



Tuesday I drove to Tallahassee to attend a luncheon hosted by our Governor in honor of myself and our Teacher of the Year Finalists. In a rest stop on I-10 I got a call from the DOE and was told that the luncheon was on, but the Governor would not be joining us. My Superintendent, Ron Blocker summed it up best - it was the Governor's loss!
My colleagues and I met Wednesday morning at the Department of Education and had the opportunity to sit down with our new Commissioner, Dr. Smith and our new Chancellor, Dr. Haithcock. Both were wonderfully supportive and we began a conversation that I believe will continue. We each had the opportunity to share what we think the DOE should be doing to improve education in Florida in the near future.

After our meeting we drove to the Governor's Mansion (also referred to as The People's Mansion) where we were guests at a wonderful lunch. Apple Computers was the sponsor and it was an incredibly special event. Each of the teachers being honored was recognized and presented with a beautiful award and I also received a fantastic Mac laptop which will soon take over the duty of my traveling Blog companion. Thank you again Apple! Above I have inserted a picture of my new MacBook!

Tomorrow I am scheduled to meet briefly with the Governor. Look for an update. Meanwhile, the picture I'm sharing is of me with Chancellor Haithcock in front of an incredible sculpture found in front of the Governor's Mansion. It seemed fitting as I'm thinking of children and all that we try to do for them.

No comments: