As We Get Older

Bad things sometimes happen to good people. Our first principal at Camelot, Andrew Taylor, retired a few years ago. Dr. Taylor is the type of principal who knows all of the kids names, drops into classrooms every day and is one of the kindest souls on this planet. When he retired he was missed by everyone, but we were all happy for him because he looked really tired. A year after retirement he had lost 50 pounds, was riding a bike 20 miles a day and was looking 10 years younger. And then came cancer. Out of the blue Andy was diagnosed with colon cancer, had radical surgery removing his colon and has fought a constant battle as the drugs have stressed his body more than the cancer.

I made a silent promise to Dr. Taylor, and another aloud to my wife that I would do something that I have resisted for five years. Yesterday I had my first colonoscopy. Since I've had ulcers in the past they also came in from the other end with an endoscopy. I won't lie, the day before when you prepare for this isn't fun. But the procedures were painless (except for a slight sore throat). The best part was that I was given a clean bill of health.

I would encourage everyone to have these procedures done if you are approaching your 50s. If I can do this anyone can - because I am admittedly a wimp! I've lost my mother, an aunt, lots of other family, friends and even students to cancer. If there is anything I can do to make sure early detection takes place, I owe it to myself and the memory of those I care about. That's my public message for the day.

No comments: