An Important Day For Science

Today the Florida Board of Education votes on the new Science Standards. Anyone reading a newspaper in Florida knows that a huge controversy surrounding evolution has been fought. I have appeared at two statewide public meetings, been interviewed by both newspapers and television, and have a letter being published in today's Orlando Sentinel. My involvement began when I was asked to join the writers working on the standards. It was an incredible experience and I believe the results will give the teachers of Florida standards that are in fact "world class". I was tasked with the physical science portion of the standards, but I have read, discussed and support the entire document. The proposed standards are almost identical (in big ideas) to those of every high performing state and country our students must compete against.

I have been frustrated by the attempts to water down these standards. I want to publicly share with each of you that I believe in God, I am a Christian and I see no conflict with evolution and my faith in my creator. I am not alone in my feelings and my beliefs. But even if my beliefs were different I would still have to defend these standards. Because I don't just teach children of my faith and science is not the teaching of beliefs. I teach children of hundreds of conflicting belief systems and I owe it to each of them to provide the best opportunities possible. I owe it to these children to prepare them for success in a changing world. I owe it to these children to teach the truth. I want the discussion regarding ID or creationism to take place - but not in a science class. Evolution is a nonissue in science. The drugs you take today to combat the mutating viruses that plague us require a complete understanding of this big idea. Our constantly changing understanding of our geophysical world; our ability to observe the constant adaptations and changes of hundreds of species of plants and animals; and our ability to accept and meet the challenges of global warming depend upon our acceptance of this basic idea.
My hope is that the Florida Board of Education ignores the politics, ignores the voices of the minority and makes the best decision for all of the children of Florida. Today is a critical day for science in Florida.

No comments: