Lake Silver Elementary


Recently I received a call from one of our local school board members, Ann Geiger, asking me to visit an exciting school in her area. I respect Mrs. Geiger and know that if she says it's special then it is! Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Lake Silver Elementary School and meeting principal, Cynthia Dodge and her staff to learn about "environmental math". Lake Silver Elementary is an OCPS Math Magnet School and they have begun to focus their math on the environment and some of the most beautiful and productive gardens that I've ever seen. Their goal is to add even more gardens and make them the focus which drives this new program.
I enjoyed seeing their gardens, thinking about and sharing ideas that I think might add to their efforts, and getting excited about this project. What a great afternoon. Thank you Ann for your phone call.
Lake Silver is a special school for so many reasons. It's population of students represents two extremes of economics, the school is also a center for severely physically challenged students and they are a school with a rich history in our district. They also have wonderful business partners that I hope will enrich this incredibly ambitious project.
I plan to come back to Lake Silver because I want to follow their progress and steal a few great ideas! Thanks again.

No comments: