A Sunshine Science Moment

Wednesday I had the opportunity of creating a new Teacher of the Year experience. I traveled to Tallahassee after Memorial Day and dropped some things off at the DOE, spent the night there and got up early Thursday morning to drive into the Central Time Zone to Chipley, Florida and the television studios of PAEC (Panhandle Area Educational Consortium). PAEC has an incredibly extensive online and on-air collection of teacher resources and classes (including the Florida Education Channel) that are accessed across Florida and the south.

I was asked to come up and tape a series of 10-15 minute inservice lessons that I created called: "A Sunshine Science Moment". With the inclusion of our new state science standards this year there has become a need for inservice to support these new standards. There is a state wide initiative , The PROMISE grant that I have been involved with that will address most of our inservice, but these mini lessons will also be used as additional support. This is my opportunity to share the information I have gathered as I've travelled to schools giving workshops and speaking with teachers throughout this year.

"A Sunshine Science Moment" takes on quick activity linked to the state Big Ideas,includes ideas to integrate the benchmarks into other areas of the curriculum and just tries to give teachers a quick boost toward putting together new units. It is my hope that each Florida Teacher of the Year who follows me will create his/her own series of min lessons related to their particular field of study and that all of theses lesson eventually become an online library of former TOY lessons. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I had a great day thanks to the generosity and expertise of Chris Harding, Lisa Schofield, Charles Walker and all of the wonderful people at PAEC. Now for the long drive back to Orlando. As my year winds down I will look back on this experience with a great deal of satisfaction.