Alumnus of the Decade


Friday evening I was among a group chosen by the University of Central Florida College of Education to be honored as Alumni of the Decade. UCF College of Education is celebrating its 40th anniversary and this was a evening bring our community together to celebrate our College, our faculty and alumni. I can't begin to express what this evening meant to me. I received my undergraduate and Master's Degrees from UCF, I met my wife in classes at UCF, I have worked for UCF as an adjunct instructor and my professional life is the result of my experiences at UCF.
It was incredible to see people that I went to school with so many years ago, professors who had such dramatic impact upon my life, and college administrators who shaped this great college. I want to thank Dr. Mike Hynes who was my undergraduate and graduate professor of elementary mathematics, my mentor and my friend throughout my career. Mike nominated me for this honor and I am in his debt. I was joined in recognition with an incredibly accomplished group of alumni. Honored were three Florida school district superintendents; two former state teachers of the year; a district school board member; at least two former, or current, state principals of the year; national and state award winning educators from all disciplines; a college dean; distinguished and successful business and community leaders; and our incoming Florida Commissioner of Education, Dr. Eric Smith.
It was wonderful to meet Dr. Smith, his guidance is one example of how UCF will continue to impact the face of education in the Florida and around the country. I am incredibly proud to be a UCF Knight! Thank you Dean Sandra Robinson for your continued leadership and allowing all of us to share in this inspiring evening.

No comments: