State Science Benchmarks

I have spent today, and will be spending the rest of the week, working as a member of a state committee tasked with revising our state science benchmarks. The process brings together teachers and experts from all levels of education, as well as business representatives. Our task is to create new state science benchmarks that demonstrate World-Class Education Standards.

The committee met over the summer and has reviewed the standards of high performing countries and selected states in our country looking for the elements that have contributed to their success. Over this three day period we hope to complete science benchmarks which will support excellence in grades K-12. Quite the task! Everyone left today quite tired, but excited by the progress being made.

Of all of the things I will be participating in this year, I'm the most excited by the importance of this event. As an elementary science educator I will continue to express the concerns and needs expressed by many of you to me. I really believe that in the future we will be teaching fewer benchmarks and will have the time for more in depth explorations and problem solving experiences.

No comments: