Answer to a raised bed gardening question


I have received a number of requests for information regarding the material used to create our raised bed gardens. If you look at the picture of our garden you will see a plastic wall that is 6" thick, 24" tall and 8' long. It is hollow and interconnects at each end. A three foot metal rod goes through holes in the corners and is hammered into the ground (or in our case, hammered through a hole we drilled through the former concrete basketball court).

When I came to Camelot many years ago these border materials came as part of the package that was to be used in the construction of our primary playground. The border materials were not used and everything was in storage taking up a huge amount of storage space when I came to the school. Dr. Andrew Taylor, our former principal, let me have the materials for the school garden.

It originally had been my plan to use railroad or landscape timbers. These things were much better - no splinters!. But I know the source for them. What I can share is that Gardening for Kids, a resource of the National Gardening Association has a number of items very similar in their catalog. If you go to the Kidsgardening.com website you will be directed to the site.

I have seen raised beds using plastic wading pools, tires, bushel vegetable baskets and assorted pots. Areas of my garden use pots a great deal. I even have plants growing in an old worn out wheelbarrow. If you have the money I would consider landscaping blocks, or even cement building blocks (which I would probably let the kids paint).

I would love for others to share ideas about what works for raised beds in other schools. How about sharing a comment?

No comments: