The Sandwich Generation

Actually I'm not talking about ham and cheese! I'm talking about a part of my year that many my age experience. As many of you know, my mother-in-law, Gertrude (94 years old) has lived with us for the past fifteen years. A part of my TOY year is being away from home and leaving my wife to care for her Mom alone. We have a wonderful person who stays with Gert during the day, but this year on the road has required sacrifice from a lot of people. Thank you Susan and Gert! During the last month, my Dad had a pacemaker installed and also stayed with us for a while. Thankfully Dad is better and has returned home with some supervision.

Those of us that are reaching middle age with senior parents are now referred to as the Sandwich Generation. Many of us have children at home or away at school while we are also taking care of elderly parents. We are "sandwiched" between these two groups. There is nothing empty about our nests! I share this not to complain - we have chosen our path; but to share with many of you out there in a similar position. I took on State TOY this year because my wife took this on. I'm looking forward to returning to my lab and students, and also to being home to help out more.