Council for Educational Change


Thursday I left Jacksonville and headed for Tampa. On the way I took a quick stop in Gainesville to have lunch with my youngest son and enjoy the beautiful day. Friday morning I participate in the Wachovia Foundation Teachers and Teaching Initiative Workshop. This program matches new teachers with mentors for training. Participating schools are identified as at risk and partner with businesses for additional mentoring. I visited with the group last September and was excited to get back and find out what kind of progress was made this year.

This great group of teachers gave up their last Saturday of Spring Break to attend and I heard great stories of success. There are incredible challenges before these teachers because this is not easy teaching, but I didn't hear anyone giving up! A great day to share in teaching.