An Early Morning Launch



I'm bleary eyed as I add this. Monday evening I traveled with my wife, Susan, to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Center where we were treated as VIP guests for the launch of Space Shuttle STS123. This was probably one of the last night time shuttle launches that will ever take place at KSC and we were extremely excited to be able to witness this historic event. Many people probably don't know that for evening launches the Visitor Center stays open until after the launch. So I got to share the Shuttle Experience with Susan ( a neat experience since we have both now experienced a couple of Gs and zero gravity!). It is an amazing attraction. We also viewed the
3D IMAX Experience, International Space Station. I wanted to reach out and hang in space with the astronauts during a few scenes - it is that amazing. The KSC Visitor Center provided both of us with wonderful goodie bags with mission patches and pins, there was a VIP reception room for a late night pre-launch snack and viewing of the events leading up to the launch, and every question you could ask was answered by their amazing staff.

But the highlight of the evening, and the reason for our trip, came as we boarded the special bus taking us to the Banana River Viewing Area for the launch. We were taken to the closest area allowed for viewing and the area reserved for VIP guests of NASA and it's partners. The launch was the smoothest I've ever witnessed. A flawless countdown, a remarkable view, and great company (we were joined by longtime friend Alan Trapp and his wife Diana). As STS123 roared to life the sky went from night to daylight, the sound waves shook my body like front row seats at a rock concert, and the shuttle launch moved quickly from the gantry to the clouds. What an incredible experience!

I will be the first to admit that my camera hand was shaking and I was completely overwhelmed by the moment. I am including a couple of pictures taken by Orlando Sentinel photographers who are much more skilled at capturing the moment.

I have to thank Billy Specht, Educational Director of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center for this incredible experience. I also want to thank Tiffany Fairley, Billy's Executive Assistant, who did an incredible job of coordinating everything. Billy, Tiffany and the rest of his staff provide educational opportunities for schools, youth groups and classrooms that are amazing. You can schedule trips, an Astronaut Experience, or even camp at the Visitor Center under the giant rockets on display. These folks truly provide one of those educational opportunities unique to those of us living in Florida. I look forward to working with the KSC Visitor Center in the future on projects and really appreciate this once in a life time experience they gave me!

1 comment:

dayle timmons said...

FYI- When I requested the Kenneday Space Center furnished beautiful pins for all the state Teachers of the Year. If you didn't take them to Dallas, it would be a wonderful gift to take with you to Space Camp! Sounds like an outstanding launch! What a thrill! dayle timmons