Garden in an Egg Carton
What You Need
• Bean seeds
• Plant soil
• Plastic spoons
• Egg cartons
• Poster paper
What to Do
1. Remind children that Johnny Appleseed planted orchards of trees from a sack of
seeds. Invite children to create their own garden of bean plants in an egg
2. Remove the tops from an appropriate number of egg cartons. Have children scoop
out enough soil to fill each pocket in the egg cartons.
3. Have each child take a seed, and plant it into the soil. Keep track of where each
seed is planted. Place the egg carton in a location where there is plenty of
light, and have children water the seeds regularly.
4. Make a chart to track the growth of each plant. Children can write notes and then
take measurements as their seedlings grow.
5. As a bonus, invite interested children to write a story or put on a play about a
bean-planting character like Johnny Appleseed.