Thursday, August 30th

Besides trying to create this blog space, answering emails, writing my application for the National Teacher of the Year and assorted office tasks I had the opportunity to host and attend a few neat things.
Last Friday my wife, Susan, and I hosted our school staff and district friends at the house for a celebration of the first week of school. I just needed to touch bases with friends and let them know how important they are to both of us. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones.
I also was honored to be among a group celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Foundation for Orange County Public Schools. This wonderful group of business and civic leaders has supported our teachers and school system in incredible ways. Each year tens of thousands of dollars go to grants which sponsor best practices in teaching throughout our district. I have been a recipient of some of these grants over the years and can attest to the wonderful learning experiences I was able to present as a result of their generosity. I will soon be attending Leadership Orlando classes hosted by the Orlando Regional Chamber of Commerce as a result of a scholarship generously donated yearly by the Foundation to the current District Teacher of the Year. A reception was held at the district office to honor the accomplishments of the Foundation and they were recognized at the monthly school board meeting. This reception kicks off a year of celebration!

1 comment:

Mery Schesser said...

Hey, Rick
Sorry I missed your party last week. My husband and I were attending the graduation of our son Trey. He is now an official USArmy Green Baret, special forces medic. He will find out his next assignment on Oct. 10th. He is very excited. I told him of your adventrue and wished you lots of luck. He said, "Right on".
I really enjoy seeing your picture around the town on signs and etc. They really choose the best person for the job. Have fun and we'll see you soon, Mery schesser